I suggest you ...

More Designers!

Every team should have a graphic designer. A lot of the non-profits end up needing a logo, so more designers with branding experience would be helpful. It's not just coding and functionality with these projects. Design/color/font decisions are being left to technical people and the non-profits who don't always know what they're doing or know what they want...and I've heard it from them directly. Stronger visuals are going to push these projects to another level and leave more of an impact with the non-profits' audiences.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick LevesqueNick Levesque shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nick LevesqueNick Levesque commented  · 

I agree, a graphic designer for each team would be excessive. There should be a few that aren't assigned to a team, but float around. A lot of the designers stay with their team, and when I would go to help others, sometimes my non-profit would be offended that all my attention wasn't directed at them (they were kidding, but there was some truth to it). So maybe the solution is having a few on hand that assist when needed.

I love being able to help as many teams as I can. I just feel bad when I have to turn down helping teams because there's too much work and not enough time. A few more designers on hand that assist several teams would be great.

• JimJim commented  · 

Another thought: There are probably zillions of designers who are willing to contribute their talent to GC, without committing to a full weekend on-site. Maybe there's a way to form a list of "Off-site resources" who have committed to doing design work on Saturday from their own studios. I probably could have recruited at least a few people who would have made themselves available as needed.

• JimJim commented  · 

This is a good point. But there are might be another way to handle this as well. While integrating graphic designers into the development teams make sense if you are doing a comprehensive web/branding project, I suspect that there is a much bigger number of "hit and run" design projects (like, "make this logo less terrible") that could be accomplished by a staff resource -- even if only a staff of 1!

Feedback and Knowledge Base