I suggest you ...

Specify "quiet time"

Have an official "quiet time" where people are asked to be aware that many of their fellow campers are recharging for the next day of hacking. To pick a random hypothetical example, this would serve to discourage use of, say, noisy electric pumps at 3:00 AM which might wake up most of the tired campers within a 50' radius (and cause those that didn't wake up to dream about vacuum cleaners).

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bill WilderBill Wilder shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Justin RussellJustin Russell commented  · 

Yes. This would help for a couple of reasons: it'd let us have a solid time to turn down the lights in the outside areas of the floor, and it'd be a good way to give us a good period to sleep if we wanted. I'd vote for 11 or 12 to 7.

I'd suggest we should encourage the people who want to work in that time to head into Mann/Sampson/Paul. At the start of the quiet hours, we could shut the doors (metal and glass); it's actually a good block for the sound, but the sound really carries when they're open.

• Bill WilderBill Wilder commented  · 

I do like the "secrets newbs should know about GiveCamp" idea - you should submit that here as a feedback topic!

• RachelRachel commented  · 

No worries at all - you just fave me a "doh!" moment about my own obliviousness - always learnin', always learnin'. But seriously, *I* will be sleeping at the other end of the hall myself (with a pre-blown up mattress, I promise!) because I discovered on night two that that was the one corner they don't turn any lights out because of the security cams. Sigh. Maybe we need a "secrets newbs should know about GiveCamp" worksheet.

Hey Rachel - The feedback suggestion is genuine. But unlike the deranged zombie who appeared at 3:00 AM to point out that the pump was "rather" loud, my random hypothetical example was trying to be funny. So no worries. I get that you were all tired too. Hope to see you at Cinco de Code Camp next year... though I'm sure you'll forgive me if I sleep down the other end.. ;~)

• RachelRachel commented  · 

Sigh. Bill, I fess up - I'm probably one of those jackasses who was too tired to think straight and did that to people in my corner. My profuse apologies. -Rachel

A good quiet time for GiveCamp might be different than what one might expect at a "normal" camp since so many campers hit the sack so late. I think 11:00 PM - 8:00 or 9:00 AM might be reasonable. I don't at all think we need "silence", just an awareness/appreciation that there are exhausted people on floors and couches all around you trying to catch a few precious hours of shut-eye.

Feedback and Knowledge Base